Date(s) - 06/08/2016
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Damage? $34-39 (lecture and tastings)
Why you should go. Whether you are a lover of Japanese sake, a curious Japanophile or just a boozer in general, you will want to check out this event.
It will kick off in the auditorium with a discussion of sake by expert John Gauntner: history, process and pairing notes before the tasting begins in the lobby.
Be warned that there are over 30 sake to taste and very limited food, so eat and hydrate before you go.
This event can also get very crowded so it’s best to arrive early.
- RSVP asap. This event will sell out.
- Business cards are a must.
- Dress code: Casual / business is fine – Travel lightly. Limited coatcheck / cloakroom.
- Bring friends or go it alone.
- HYDRATE AND EAT BEFORE YOU GO. Don’t be a legless casualty!
- Food is limited, but check out the nearby spots. See below.
- Aburiya Kinnosuke $$ – very classy, great menu, slightly upscale
- Momosan Ramen & Sake– Lexington by 39th St. Morimoto’s new ramen shop.
- Prêt-à-manger 3rd Ave between 47th and 48th. My usual pre-hydrate-and-eat-before -you-go spot. (Starbucks is next door)
- Riki ($) Izakaya, inexpensive, upstairs karaoke rooms
- Sakagura Tricky to find because it’s tucked below in an office building, but has most extensive sake menu, good food
- Soba Totto $$ – classy, fantastic intimate sake /wine bar, great find
- Udon West($) You can’t go wrong here. Pitchers of beer, decent grub, cheap, fast service.