Date(s) - 10/01/2018
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Foodie / Cuisine
- Art / Cultural Events
- Roundtable / Colloquium
- Foreign language
- Lecture / Panel Discussion
Cover image: Courtesy of Mouth Waters Earth
Damage? Free, RSVP required
Why you should go. Focusing attention into the palette, AAWW hosts an evening for language, food, art, & place to come together on a shared table. Situating her writing from the perspective of food, author Chienfang Chang will share pieces of her recent work at the Vermont Studio Center as well as engage in a guided tasting & reading of aiyu, a plant indigenous to the mountains of Taiwan, with chef Pyna Yang. We will lead guests through the process of preparing aiyu following local tradition and discussions will follow the roots of how food opens a space for both cultural exchange and social justice.
What is TPECC?
The Taipei Economic and Cultural Office, or de-facto Taiwanese Consulate is an impressive place featuring many free cultural events that are worth checking out. They are often short, hassle free and always a chance to meet new faces.
- RSVP ASAP- very limited seating
- Dressy or business casual is fine.
- Alone or with friends? Either or.
- Business cards recommended.
- Coat check/ cloak room is not always available so travel lightly.
- Fancy a nightcap or bite to eat in the area?
- Ayza Wine & Chocolate Bar – 11 W. 33rd St. NY NY 10001 – tiny with limited seating, but it can impress your date. And with wine and chocolate, what’s not to like?
- Eataly (corner of Broadway and 23rd St.) – Italian food court with plenty of eating options but can get crazy crowded
- 5Karaoke Bar & Lounge – if singing out tune with your favorite desert jukebox classic is your idea of a good time, check this place out.
- Junoon 27 W. 24th St. New York, NY 10010 Swanky Indian with an amazing cocktail lounge. $10 happy hour specials availble.
- Legends 6 W. 33rd St, NY NY 10001 – great beers on tap at this neighborhood bar
- Monarch Rooftop Lounge at the Marriott Courtyard 71 W. 35th St. – yes there’s another one in the vincity. Great views, stylish bar and not so crowded.
- Nomad Hotel 1170 Broadway and 28th St. – swanky and posh, this luxury hotel has two elegant bars for you to choose from.
- VU Rooftop @ La Quinta Hotel 17 W. 32nd, NY NY 10001 – if one rooftop doesn’t work, there are more.