Date(s) - 09/20/2018
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Art / Cultural Events
- Meet and Greet
- Foreign language
- Lecture / Panel Discussion
Cover image courtesy of Japan Society
Why you should go. Bonsai’s artistic roots go back over a thousand years in Japan, and today the art form has spread across cultures, embracing new plant species and international influences. Through the careful guidance of human hands, miniature bonsai trees flourish into a microcosm of the natural world. Julian Velasco, professional bonsai artist and former Bonsai Collection curator at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden for 11 years shares what makes these exquisite trees so special and how they can help improve our lives by connecting us to nature. Moderated by journalist Caroline Cooper
- Attire? Casual or business? Either or.
- Get your tickets in advance.
- Coat check/ cloak room is limited so travel lightly
- Fancy a drink or bite to eat in the area?
- Aburiya Kinnosuke $$ 213 E 45th St, New York, NY 10017 -Very classy, great menu, upscale izakaya
- Gyu-Kaku Midtown $$ 805 3rd Ave by 50th St. 2nd fl, New York, NY 10022 . – Japanese barbecue, Smart, sophisticated, good service. Happy hour from 5-6pm with half-priced drafts.
- Hidechan Ramen $$ 248 E 52nd St (2nd Ave), New York, NY 10022. 2nd Fl. – You can pick the size of your noodle and opt for kaedama, or supplementary noodle portion
- Momosan Ramen $$ 342 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10016 – Morimoto’s latest New York venture – the spicy tan-tan men ramen tempered with coconut milk is a revelation of pure deliciousness.
- Sir Harry’s at the Waldorf Astoria $$ Park or Lexington entrances between 49th and 50th St – Quiet classic, old-school hotel bar boozer. There are three other bar options at the Waldorf.
- Riki $141 E 45th St, New York, NY 10017 (Lex and 3rd) – Izakaya inexpensive, upstairs karaoke rooms. Non-tipping establishment.
- Sakagura $$211 E 43rd St, New York, NY 10017 (next to Soba Totto) – Tucked below in an office building, but has most extensive sake menu and good food
- Soba Totto $$ 211 E 43rd St A, New York, NY 10017 (next to Sakagura) – A personal favorite. Classy, fantastic intimate sake bar and restaurant, a great find
- Udon West$ 46th St between Lexington and 3rd Ave. – You can’t go wrong here. Pitchers of beer, decent grub, fast service
- Whiskey Blue at the W Hotel $$- 50th and Lexington. – Dark, wooden, comfortable and great selection.