Date(s) - 08/15/2019
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Foodie / Cuisine
- Art / Cultural Events
- Meet and Greet
- Lecture / Panel Discussion
Cover image: Courtesy of MOFAD
What’s up? Join Shannon Mustipher, Garret Richard, Selma Slabiak, Claire Sprouse, and Julia Turshen for a talk and tasting as they celebrate the publication of TIKI, and the flavor, phenomenon, and lasting legacy of Tiki culture.
Why you should go. Tiki was born out of 1930s Hollywood fantasy and post-WWII South Pacific nostalgia, becoming shorthand for all things exotic for American audiences. Tiki’s tacky takes on cultural phenomenons as disparate as Cantonese cuisine, Maori mythology, and Caribbean spirits, by way of British colonialism, created a distinctly American culinary phenomenon.
What is MOFAD?
Carved out from an old garage, this museum lab devotes itself entirely to exploring food, drink and culture. MOFAD has hosted several inspiring after-hours events including: An evening of Polish vodka, Chef Pierre Thiam on Senegalese Cuisine, Food writer Sarah Lohman, Michael Twitty’s African Roots in Southern Cuisine, Spice Master Lior Lev Sercarz of La Boîte NYC, and Éric Ripert and Alex Guarnaschelli.
- RSVP ASAP before tickets sell out.
- Attire? Casual works.
- Bring I.D. 21+
- Alone or with friends? Either or.
- Business cards are always a plus.
- Fancy a nightcap or bite to eat nearby?
- Karczma, Karczma, 136 Greenpoint Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222
- Krolewskie Jadlo 694 Manhattan Avenue, Brooklyn NY, 11222 – Polish, the most medieval-looking restaurant I’ve ever seen.
- No Name Bar 597 Manhattan Ave. New York, NY 11222 Chinese trendy, hipster popular.
- Pete’s Candystore 709 Lorimer St, Brooklyn, NY 11211, No longer an old-school candystore, but a creative bar with live music.
- Spritzenhaus, 33 Nassau Avenue, Greenpoint, great selection of beer, family friendly, good dogs and fries. I love this place.
- Tørst 615 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222 Craft beers – yes this is Greenpoint!