Date(s) - 07/15/2018 - 07/22/2018
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Cover image courtesy of MOFAD
What’s up? Welcome to Lab’s Lab, a new workshop series showcasing the experiments and research taking place in the MOFAD Lab’s kitchen.
Damage? $7-$14 Program ticket price is included in regular Museum admission.
Why you should go. From a weekend dimsum jaunt or a stroll through a bakery in Chinatown, the eggtart is a ubiquitous part of Chinese, Taiwanese and Hongkongese cuisine. The flaky, buttery crust and set egg custard filling is a wonderful treat, but where did it come from and how did it become so popular?
Join MOFAD Visitor Services Associate, and pastry historian, Dressler Parsons on a 500-year pastry journey from the convents of Portugal to Chinatown bakeries of post-WWII Manhattan. Learn how to identify the subtle differences between Chinatown egg tarts, map their influences, and try a few along the way!
What is MOFAD?
Carved out from an old garage, this museum lab devotes itself entirely to exploring food, drink and culture. MOFAD has hosted several inspiring after-hours events including: An evening of Polish vodka, Chef Pierre Thiam on Senegalese Cuisine, Food writer Sarah Lohman, Michael Twitty’s African Roots in Southern Cuisine, Spice Master Lior Lev Sercarz of La Boîte NYC, and Éric Ripert and Alex Guarnaschelli.
- RSVP ASAP before tickets sell out.
- Attire? Casual works.
- Alone or with friends? Either or.
- Business cards are always a plus.
- Fancy a nightcap or bite to eat nearby?
- Karczma, Karczma, 136 Greenpoint Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222
- Krolewskie Jadlo 694 Manhattan Avenue, Brooklyn NY, 11222 – Polish, the most medieval-looking restaurant I’ve ever seen.
- No Name Bar 597 Manhattan Ave. New York, NY 11222 Chinese trendy, hipster popular.
- Pete’s Candystore 709 Lorimer St, Brooklyn, NY 11211, No longer an old-school candystore, but a creative bar with live music.
- Spritzenhaus, 33 Nassau Avenue, Greenpoint, great selection of beer, family friendly, good dogs and fries. I love this place.
- Tørst 615 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222 Craft beers – yes this is Greenpoint!