Date(s) - 07/31/2018
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
WNYC Greene Space
- Art / Cultural Events
- Roundtable / Colloquium
- Meet and Greet
- Film Screening
- Lecture / Panel Discussion
Cover image: Courtesy of the Greene Space
What’s up? Free screening of the brand new film, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, followed by a 30-minute Q&A with author Emily Danforth, director Desiree Akhavan, and special guest stars from the film, hosted by Nancy’s Kathy Tu and Tobin Low
Why you should go. Cameron Post (Chloë Grace Moretz) looks the part of a perfect high school girl. But after she’s caught with another girl in the back seat of a car on prom night, Cameron is quickly shipped off to a conversion therapy center that treats teens “struggling with same-sex attraction.” At the facility, Cameron is subjected to outlandish discipline, dubious “de-gaying” methods, and earnest Christian rock songs—but this unusual setting also provides her with an unlikely gay community. For the first time, Cameron connects with peers, and she’s able to find her place among fellow outcasts.
Writer/director Desiree Akhavan (Appropriate Behavior) and co-writer Cecilia Frugiuele sensitively adapt Emily Danforth’s acclaimed eponymous coming-of-age novel and create a refreshingly original teen movie. Balancing out inherent drama with understated humor, The Miseducation of Cameron Post looks at a teenage girl grappling with pain and loss, as she creates a family on her own terms and learns what it means to gain confidence in her own identity.
What is the Greene Space?
- RSVP ASAP Limited seating available.
- Entrance is the near the corner of Varick and Charlton Street.
- Dress code: Business or casual works.
- Bring your I.D. if you plan on drinking
- Business cards are always a plus
- Alone or with friends? Either or.
- Fancy a night cap or a bite to eat nearby?
- City Winery, 155 Varick Street, New York, NY, 10013 ($$) -located just south of the Greene Space with a convenient no-nonsense wine bar for a quick snifter.
- En Brasserie ($$) 435 Hudson St, New York, NY 10014- impressive your friends from out-of-town. An upscale Japanese restaurant, the lounge area offers comfortable seating with great food and drink menu. Keep this spot in mind for a date.
- Little Italy Pizza & Deli ($) 180 Varick St (South of Houston) 10014- No name pre-eat and hydrate spot. Fast, cheap, reliable and comforting.
- Nancy Whiskey Pub ($$)- 1 Lispenard St by Canal St, New York, NY 10013, divey, comforting boozer.
- Pegu Club, ($$) 2nd fl. Houston and Broadway (next to Dos Caminos) Heading north towards Houston? One of the best swanky lounges with a polite staff with little attitude. The perfect date or impress-your-mate spot.
- Reade Street Pub, ($) 135 Reade St, New York, NY 10013 – old school bars speak to me. It is reasonably priced that won’t tear your ears with the sound of being ripped off.
- The Village Tavern 46 Bedford St, New York, NY 10014 – cozy, neighborhood boozer with plenty of sports, beers on tap, wines and spirits.