Date(s) - 06/27/2018
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Art / Cultural Events
- International Affairs
- Foreign language
- Film Screening
- Lecture / Panel Discussion
Cover image: Courtesy of Taiwan Academy/ TPECC
Damage? Free, RSVP required
Why you should go. A powerful LGBTQ film delves into complex but significant issues as gender identity, ethnicity and alienation in present-day Taiwan. Discussion with Director Wang and Professor Ron Gregg.
Synopsis: Alifu works as a hairdresser in Taipei and longs for gender-confirmation surgery, which may affect his status within his tribal Paiwan family. Sherry, a trans woman who owns a drag bar, is in love with a plumber who appears not to share her feelings. Chris is a government worker and lives with his girlfriend Angie — and also moonlights as a drag queen.
What is TPECC?
The Taipei Economic and Cultural Office, or de-facto Taiwanese Consulate is an impressive place featuring many free cultural events that are worth checking out. They are often short, hassle free and always a chance to meet new faces.
- Free, RSVP required
- Dressy or business casual is fine.
- Alone or with friends? Either or.
- Business cards are always a plus.
- Fancy a drink or bite to eat nearby?
- Bar Six, bar, restaurant 502 Ave of the Americas, New York, NY 10011 – Love this place. Convenient, great selection and good buzz
- Basta Pasta – Japanese Italian pasta 37 W 17th St, New York, NY 10011- The carbonara is delicious, but the off-the-menu squid ink pasta is my favorite.
- Cookshop 156 10th Ave. New York, NY 10011- closer to the Highline, great American, locally sourced cuisine,
- Eataly NYC by 23rd and Broadway- loads of eating options food court but gets crowded
- Junoon High end Indian, 27 W 24th St, New York, NY 10010, lounge
- Laut 15 E. 17th St. pan-Asian, good service and food,
- Le Singe Vert – French bistro, 160 7th Ave New York, NY, 10011, reliable, great desserts, charming
- Lillie’s Union Square Bar / Restaurant, Edward the 7th would have loved this place, which is a shrine to Lille Langtry. Cozy, charming and great selection of drinks.
- Markt – Belgian 676 6th Avenue, New York, NY 10010, great bar, good buzz.
Raines Law Room, cocktail lounge, speak-easy, 48 W. 17th St. New York, NY 10011