Date(s) - 03/06/2019
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Foodie / Cuisine
- Art / Cultural Events
- Meet and Greet
- Lecture / Panel Discussion
Cover image: Courtesy of MOFAD
What’s up? Talk and tasting with experts Nicole Taylor, Adrienne Cheatham, and Ken Wells, and celebrate the launch of Wells’s Gumbo Life: Tales from the Roux Bayou.
Why you should go. Gumbo is one Louisiana’s most iconic dishes, and today’s chefs based in New Orleans have added their own take on this classic, ever-evolving recipe. Some cooks use okra, some use filé, and some a roux as a gumbo thickener. Some use sausage and chicken, some shellfish, and some a combination of both. No matter which way you cook it, this dish reflects the culinary story of America; as Dr. Jessica Harris points out, gumbo is “a case where these parts make an extraordinary whole without totally melting .” Or as Ken Wells writes in his new book, Gumbo Life, gumbo “is the story of jazz but writ in food.”
What is MOFAD?
Carved out from an old garage, this museum lab devotes itself entirely to exploring food, drink and culture. MOFAD has hosted several inspiring after-hours events including: An evening of Polish vodka, Chef Pierre Thiam on Senegalese Cuisine, Food writer Sarah Lohman, Michael Twitty’s African Roots in Southern Cuisine, Spice Master Lior Lev Sercarz of La Boîte NYC, and Éric Ripert and Alex Guarnaschelli.
- RSVP ASAP before tickets sell out.
- Attire? Casual works.
- Bring I.D. 21+
- Alone or with friends? Either or.
- Business cards are always a plus.
- Fancy a nightcap or bite to eat nearby?
- Karczma, Karczma, 136 Greenpoint Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222
- Krolewskie Jadlo 694 Manhattan Avenue, Brooklyn NY, 11222 – Polish, the most medieval-looking restaurant I’ve ever seen.
- No Name Bar 597 Manhattan Ave. New York, NY 11222 Chinese trendy, hipster popular.
- Pete’s Candystore 709 Lorimer St, Brooklyn, NY 11211, No longer an old-school candystore, but a creative bar with live music.
- Spritzenhaus, 33 Nassau Avenue, Greenpoint, great selection of beer, family friendly, good dogs and fries. I love this place.
- Tørst 615 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11222 Craft beers – yes this is Greenpoint!