Date(s) - 05/16/2018
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Cover image: Shiosai © Miyuki Hyodo, courtesy of Japan Society
Why you should go. Delicate, artisanal confections, wagashi are traditionally served as an accompaniment to the tea ceremony. The shapes, colors and ingredients of these sweets are inspired by the natural world, often crafted to coordinate with the seasons. At this talk, wagashi confectioner Miyuki Hyodo, of miuxnyc, shares the cultural traditions surrounding these uniquely Japanese sweets, and introduces her contemporary approach that incorporates seasonal local ingredients. Hyodo will also give an on-stage demonstration of the elegant art of wagashi making.
- Attire? Casual or business.
- Get your tickets in advance.
- Alone or with friends? Either or.
- Business cards are always a plus.
- Fancy a drink or bite to eat in the area?
- Aburiya Kinnosuke $$ 213 E 45th St, New York, NY 10017 -Very classy, great menu, upscale izakaya
- Gyu-Kaku Midtown $$ 805 3rd Ave by 50th St. 2nd fl, New York, NY 10022 . – Japanese barbecue, Smart, sophisticated, good service. Happy hour from 5-6pm with half-priced drafts.
- Hidechan Ramen $$ 248 E 52nd St (2nd Ave), New York, NY 10022. 2nd Fl. – You can pick the size of your noodle and opt for kaedama, or supplementary noodle portion
- Momosan Ramen $$ 342 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10016 – Morimoto’s latest New York venture – the spicy tan-tan men ramen tempered with coconut milk is a revelation of pure deliciousness.
- Sir Harry’s at the Waldorf Astoria $$ Park or Lexington entrances between 49th and 50th St – Quiet classic, old-school hotel bar boozer. There are three other bar options at the Waldorf.
- Riki $141 E 45th St, New York, NY 10017 (Lex and 3rd) – Izakaya inexpensive, upstairs karaoke rooms. Non-tipping establishment.
- Sakagura $$211 E 43rd St, New York, NY 10017 (next to Soba Totto) – Tucked below in an office building, but has most extensive sake menu and good food
- Soba Totto $$ 211 E 43rd St A, New York, NY 10017 (next to Sakagura) – A personal favorite. Classy, fantastic intimate sake bar and restaurant, a great find
- Udon West$ 46th St between Lexington and 3rd Ave. – You can’t go wrong here. Pitchers of beer, decent grub, fast service
- Whiskey Blue at the W Hotel $$- 50th and Lexington. – Dark, wooden, comfortable and great selection.